31 Everydays of October...

Today began like most days. Early, with a to do list bigger than one person can handle however this is quiet normal for me. The thing I did not count on today was for Summer to send me a text message telling me that my young Alpaca Peony was down and couldn't stand up....dread overwhelmed me and I raced home, scooped her up into my little red yaris and took her to the vet. He ran a series of test on her which delivered a better prognosis than what I had expected. He tested her blood and her red blood count was 6, at 10 is when they do a blood transfusion. So he said he would try to keep her calm and alive while I go get my other Alpacas so we can test them and see if one could be the donor. So I gather them in the stock trailer and take them to the vet. Edward is the one, 25 is normal for red blood cell count and his was 45.... He donates his blood to little Peony and when the transfusion is complete she starts lifting her head and trying to figure out how to get out of there! As it turns out the Alpacas have a strand of 
Haemonchus contortus
 Which had become immune to the wormer I have been using. It's amazing to see how things can work together. This Farmgirl is eternally grateful.



Everyday Farmgirl

1 comment

  1. Oh my gosh, Kristy....what a scary experience for you....and poor Peony! I'm so glad that Edward was so healthy that he could contribute to Peony's healing. You continue to amaze me with your calm, cool head and your loving heart for your farm babies. You always seem to know what to do and how to do it. I stand in awe! lol :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete

Bovine Love

Bovine Love

Followers

Back to Top